Thursday, June 4, 2009

Kris Sowersby talk | Tuesday 16th June


Kris Sowersby is touring Australia for AGDA (Australia Graphic Design Assoc.). He'd be well worth checking out - fantastic typeface designer. He's from NZ but we can't hold that against him - some great things come out of NZ (like snow and... snow!). Sowersby's typefaces combine historical knowledge with contemporary craftmanship & finish.

In a 2007 interview with I Love Typography, Sowersby was asked how he got started designing type: "There was a point at design school when I realised that I loved drawing letterforms, so much so that I would prefer to make typefaces than become a graphic designer. I think it was when I was drawing/copying Bembo letter by letter, trying to understand how it was put together. I noticed that the arch of the ‘n' subtly curves into into the right-hand stem-all the way down into the serif. For some reason that struck me as being quite amazing. It is a detail that would seem rather innocuous, yet lends so much warmth and character to the overall printed impression. I still have that sketch, I wrote "cheeky Bembo!" next to it.

www.agda.com.au/news/national/224/register-now-for-kris-sowersby---international-speaker-tour

No comments: